[squeak-dev] Update number -> commit mapping?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 14:40:45 UTC 2013

On 7 January 2013 13:46, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 03.01.2013, at 19:49, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No, I don't think we currently capture enough state to determine that.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there a convenient way of mapping an update number to the commit
>>> that produced that update number?
>>>
>>> I know that SqueakTrunk build #105 updated to update number 12360, but
>>> I don't know of a way of knowing "ah, that's Environments-fbs.11" (if
>>> indeed it was).
>>>
>>> frank
>
> It's not even a unique mapping anyway. What you could do is compare the package versions between one build and the next to see which packages changed.

I'd argue that it _must_ be a unique mapping, from update number to a
set of package versions. An update might point to multiple packages -
2121 -> {Foo-fbs.1 Bar-fbs.2}.

Further, if any update N refers to a package version Foo-blah.M, then
any update N+1, ... that refers to Foo should refer to a Foo-blah.K
where K > M.

But I take your point that - at least for now - a pragmatic approach
to _determining_ the mapping (of the current update at least) is as
you describe: take the set of mappings now, update one step, take the
set of mappings again, and diff the two.

frank