[squeak-dev] Mine-able ideas?

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Mon Jan 7 19:43:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> I know source gets stored in the files but long ago it was the case that
> method version objects were kept in the image and they held on to a *lot*
> of crap. Did that get changed? IIRC it was part of a never completed
> attempt to have some sort of namespacey-effect using projects.

That must have been before my time. These days, all versions are stored on
disk. Each chunk has the source pointer for the previous version in it, and
the tools walk back through the changes/source files collecting all the
versions in the chain.

Here's an example:

!MCVersionInfo methodsFor: 'converting' stamp: 'bf 4/18/2010 23:25' prior:
23175569!
asDictionary
^ Dictionary new
at: #name put: name;
at: #id put: id asString;
at: #message put: message;
at: #date put: date;
at: #time put: time;
at: #author put: author;
at: #ancestors put: (self ancestors collect: [:a | a asDictionary]);
yourself! !

That "prior" parameters points to the previous version.

Colin