[squeak-dev] RISC OS Pi in the workshop

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 9 01:34:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 03:42:51PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> OK, RISC OS Pi squeak is now available as a tentative demo pre-alpha possibly useful maybe release at http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9-RISCOS.zip
> If you try it and like it, remember to mentally thank Chris Cunnington for providing the dev-tools and the Pi Foundation for providing the tasty Pi. And offer up wishes for somebody realising that they need to *pay me* to develop stuff.
>
> Apparently Scratch runs on it, though I haven't tried and wouldn't really have any current experience to judge it by.

Hi Tim,

Very cool, and nice to see Squeak running again on STINU (*). I have to ask - were
you able to do this with an up to date VMMaker with closures etc? I confess that
I was a bit worried that the various changes to VMMaker since the last RISC OS
release would cause a real mess. Hopefully it was not too bad?

I do think that it would be a sad injustice if the RISC OS community was deprived
of the ability to run 64-bit Squeak images on Raspberry Pi. So I think you
should try compiling with -D SQ_VI_BYTES_PER_WORD=8 and see if the resulting
vm can run a 64-bit image like the one here:

  http://squeakci.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/

Dave

(*) SomethingThatIsNotUnix