[squeak-dev] Re: Build slaves for a diverse CI environment

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 09:47:40 UTC 2013

On 7 January 2013 20:51, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been experimenting these past few days investigating using build
> slaves. I've set up jobs for building FreeBSD VMs (both broken,
> because FreeBSD support does lag behind the other platforms) and for
> running Trunk tests on OS X. You can see that we have some (known)
> network issues on OS X here:
> http://squeakci.org/job/SqueakTrunk-OSX/9/testReport/?
>
> It's pretty easy to run a build slave.

As a result of a recent Jenkins vulnerability, this is now more
complicated: build slaves must now authenticate to the master (because
we've turned off read permissions for anonymous users as per the
vulnerability report suggestion), which means you'll need a Jenkins
username/password. Right now I haven't figured out the precise steps
to authenticate: it SHOULD be as easy as adding -jnlpCredentials
username:password to the incantation I'd previously given, but (a)
suddenly you need Apache's common-codecs jar and (b) I'm getting
connection terminations.

Once I've figured out the new way to do things I'll report back. For
now, if you want to donate build infrastructure, the Jenkins master
will have to connect to the slave. For Unix-like machines that means
having the master ssh into your machine. This in turn requires either
a publically accessible machine, or setting up port forwarding on your
NAT, or similar.

frank