[squeak-dev] Re: nk lockdown has a hole on 4.3

glenpaling slp5591 at me.com
Fri Jan 11 15:23:29 UTC 2013

glenpaling wrote

>> You might try disabling the generalizedYellowButtonMenu in the Morphic
>> preferences. That enables the personal menu which you can edit.
>> Jim Rosenberg wrote
>>> I'm a user of Ned Konz's lockdown package to achieve what I would call
>>> "Kiosk mode": complete disabling of everything in the Squeak UI except
>>> for
>>> what is allowed by "my" morphs. This works fine under 3.8. Today I tried
>>> it
>>> on 4.3. It mostly works -- no world menu, halos don't come up, but on
>>> Linux
>>> when I right-click (I forget which color button that is, I never did
>>> learn
>>> Squeak mouse button colors ...) this menu *does* come up. For the World
>>> this allows showing the docking bar, and from there you can get all
>>> kinds
>>> of things. So this is a hole.
>>>
>>> Has anyone run into this? Is there a fix?
>>>
>>> Ned, you out there? [Trying Bcc ...]
>>>
>>> -Thanks in advance, Jim
>> In the Preference Browser, try disabling the morphic preference
>> "generalizedYellowButtonMenu". This enables the personal menu which you
>> can easily edit.
> I tried this on OSX. With the generalizedYellowButtonMenu disabled. I
> filed in Ned's lockdown code. Then, following Ned's instructions, I
> invoked the "lock image down" from the personal yellow button menu and
> saved as a new image. This image produces no menus from the desktop, left,
> middle or right click.

With the generalizedYellowButtonMenu /enabled/, I get the same result you
did. After lockdown, right clicking on the desktop brings up a mini world
menu.

Does anybody know what this generalizedYellowButtonMenu is for? It just
brings up a reduced version of the world menu which seems redundant. It also
masks the nice personalizable yellow button menu which is actually useful.