[squeak-dev] Locale & TimeZones in 4.0 image

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jan 12 01:20:57 UTC 2013

The RISC OS resurrection is going well but I'm finding some interesting issues along the way, not surprisingly.

One that puzzled me yesterday was noticing that the 'Time now' was reporting GMT without any timezone correction. I don't recall this happening 'in the old days'.

I'm more than a bit confused by the huge collection of classes handling time stuff in 4.0 but so far as I could tell it makes no use whatsoever of the Locale plugin to find out the TZ - or many other - values. In fact it was hard to spot any use at all of the Locale stuff. All the other platforms appear to be returning a local time instead of a GMT value, which puzzles me since RISC OS has been using GMT since at least v1.20 in 1997!

Does anyone remember that changing & if os, when? I guess it's a bit of a non-issue for recent images since the 'Time now' is calculated quite differently.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- PORTE-KOCHERE - Sacramental wine