[squeak-dev] Locale & TimeZones in 4.0 image

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jan 12 04:56:05 UTC 2013

On 11-01-2013, at 6:04 PM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> The underlying problem behind all this is that early Squeak VMs reported system
> time in the local time zone rather than UTC, which may have made sense at the
> time for single-user systems but is a mess if you want to do any kind of reasonable
> time zone support or calculation of time durations. I'd love to throw the whole
> thing out and start over with UTC throughout, but needless to say that would be
> a non-trivial amount of work.

The weird thing is that my code for ioSeconds() hasn't changed since '96 and I lived in California back then and in fact on the Wet Coast ever since 91. I don't recall ever having the time not be correct and I worked on that machine every damn day. The only story I can think of that makes any sense of it would involve RISC OS not having timezone support when I moved from the UK, me keeping the machine on PST and never taking advantage of timezone support when it arrived. I suppose it's possible.

Whatever, I guess I'll TZ ioSeconds() for now and be done with it!

tim
 Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly answer the door in your nightgown.