[squeak-dev] In Memory of Andreas Raab

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 00:37:46 UTC 2013

Sad day indeed.

My personal "Smalltalk hero" is Vassili Bykov, as I had the chance (privilege) to work with him.

Andreas was of the same kind.  Everytime no one had a clue, he came up with such a simple and elegant solution that you felt dumb not to have thought about it in the first place, just like Vassili.

Just like Vassili, even though he was eons ahead of you, Andreas never made you feel you were a moron.  He kindly and patiently and precisely replied to all questions, even the dumbest.  He had the talent to explain the most complex things and not make you feel stupid.  Even better, he made you understand with his answers!

I will remember him not just as a coder, but as a great teacher through his numerous emails on the mailing lists...

Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)