[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.4 Question

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:24:10 UTC 2013

On 16 January 2013 14:02, Yanni Chiu <yanni at rogers.com> wrote:
> On 16/01/13 4:40 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>

>> I have _also_ put files called SqueakV44.sources(.gz|zip). These are
>> identical to the V41 sources, but I've realised that for automating
>> things you REALLY REALLY want to have the sources file name derivable
>> from the Squeak version. At some point I will need to make Squeak 4.4
>> look for a SqueakV44.sources file, and I've added an item to the todo
>> list to have Squeak 4.5 do this automatically as part of the release
>> cycle.
>

> Won't that cause further confusion - the same file named differently. I
> don't understand how a file name that never changes, can be a problem for
> automating a build.

How can I derive "SqueakV41.sources" from "4.4"? If I can't derive it,
how can a script? It was an error (on my part) to not produce a
SqueakV44.sources. I'll be fixing that in the 4.4 update stream in due
course, but I need to leave the SqueakV41.sources there for the moment
because the current 4.4 looks for such a file. James Robertson
correctly pointed out that one usually has a .sources file, so we
should have such a thing.

> IMHO, it should be left alone, unless the plan described by Bert is
> implemented. A "temporary" solution, often becomes permanent.

The "temporary" part is keeping the SqueakV41.sources there until we
can be sure that 4.4 images won't look for that file, but for
SqueakV44.sources instead.

frank