[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.4 Question

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Wed Jan 16 17:02:48 UTC 2013

On 16/01/13 11:12 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Fine, you're right, SqueakV44.sources being a copy of
> SqueakV41.sources is a bit lame. If you like, the error is that we
> didn't condense sources, and we should for every release.

It's not clear that any error was made. The "plan" apparently was to
condense sources "non-destructively". But, condense sources is
destructive, at the moment. So, without doing the work to make it a
non-destructive condense, then the only option was to do the same as
before - which is to use SqueakV41.sources.

> Well. I would be fine with either a condense on a major release or a
> minor release, if it was ALWAYS true. Consistency is the mother of
> automation. But that's not where we are.

SqueakV41.sources is an anomaly. That's where we're at. My original
point was that introducing SqueakV44.sources as an "alias" name for
SqueakV41.sources does not improve the current situation, IMHO.