[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.4 Question

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:17:24 UTC 2013

On 16 January 2013 21:44, Yanni Chiu <yanni at rogers.com> wrote:
> On 16/01/13 1:38 PM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>

>> (It's supposed to be possible to deploy images without sources files.
>> I haven't been able to get this to work for me. That, too, would
>> satisfy me.)
>

> I keep the .sources files with the VM, and never have to download a
> .sources file for new releases. If I didn't want to save the space, I
> would have all the previous squeak .sources there too. Right now,
> there's just PharoV10.sources and SqueakV41.sources.
>
> Assuming condense sources is done in the future, when would the
> SqueakV4x.sources start to appear? Once the first release candidate is
> declared? Or, just after the final release candidate?
>

>> It's an alias for 12327, sure. I don't want it to be an alias going
>> forward. I want it to be the actual proper sources file for the 4.4
>> releases.
>

> It's premature to introduce SqueakV44.sources, on the faint hope that in
> the near future, the non-destructive condense sources will appear. In my
> experience, I've seen lots of baggage get introduced, in preparation for
> when the rewrite, improved, etc. thing appears - and then it doesn't.
> But, we get stuck with the "prep" stuff (i.e. multiple copies of
> SqueakV41.sources, with different names).

I don't care about condensed sources, destructive or otherwise. I care
about scriptability, and hooking Squeak up to everything in the world.

>> And when the next release comes out, and I delete
>> Squeak4.4-12327.zip, I'll delete the SqueakV41.sources and the alias
>>  problem will disappear!
>

> "delete" a release! That sounds like a completely wrong process.
>> IIUC, 4.4 is now released. It uses SqueakV41.sources. Now you want to
> release another 4.4 that uses SqueakV44.sources - that is exactly the
> same as SqueakV41.sources. Doesn't that create further confusion? I
> don't see why this can't be addressed in 4.5.

They might have the same content, but they are semantically different.

But I'm tired of arguing. Please propose a means that I can, with an
absolute minimum of effort find the sources file corresponding to a
given Squeak version, both for 4.4 and for arbitrary versions in the
future.

I repeat: _all I want_ is a _simple_ correspondence between a released
Squeak and the source file that it needs. One that a shell script can
calculate. One that doesn't involve scraping links off a web page.

Deploying without sources might also work, but then you lose debuggability.

frank