[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.4 Question

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Wed Jan 16 23:34:53 UTC 2013

On 16/01/13 5:17 PM, Frank Shearar wrote:

> They might have the same content, but they are semantically different.

I don't understand what you see as the semantic difference.

> But I'm tired of arguing.

Me too. I just don't want to have to keep multiple copies of sources
file around, under different names, which I think is what your change is
leading to.

 > Please propose a means that I can, with an
> absolute minimum of effort find the sources file corresponding to a
> given Squeak version, both for 4.4 and for arbitrary versions in the
> future.
>
> I repeat: _all I want_ is a _simple_ correspondence between a released
> Squeak and the source file that it needs. One that a shell script can
> calculate. One that doesn't involve scraping links off a web page.

Exactly the process we have now. The sources file needed to build the
latest release is the one and only sources file created after the last
condense sources.

Squeak1.X --> SqueakV1.sources
Squeak2.X --> SqueakV2.sources
Squeak3.X --> SqueakV3.sources
Squeak4.0 --> SqueakV4.sources
Squeak4.1 --> SqueakV41.sources
Squeak4.2 --> SqueakV41.sources
Squeak4.3 --> SqueakV41.sources
Squeak4.4 --> SqueakV41.sources

(A) No implementation of non-destructive condense sources
Squeak4.5 --> SqueakV41.sources
Squeak4.6 --> SqueakV41.sources
Squeak4.7 --> SqueakV41.sources
Squeak4.8 --> SqueakV41.sources

(A.1) No implementation of non-destructive condense sources, and changes
file gets too big
Squeak4.5 --> SqueakV41.sources
Squeak4.6 --> SqueakV46.sources
Squeak4.7 --> SqueakV46.sources
Squeak4.8 --> SqueakV46.sources

A decision to condense sources has to be made (or not), and from that
point forward, the build script must use that sources file.

(B) Someone implements non-destructive condense sources
Squeak4.5 --> SqueakV45.sources
Squeak4.6, Squeak4.5 --> SqueakV46.sources
Squeak4.7, Squeak4.6, Squeak4.5 --> SqueakV47.sources
Squeak4.8, Squeak4.7, Squeak4.6, Squeak4.5 --> SqueakV48.sources

In scenario (B), you'll get the simple correspondence that you're
looking for. But, the build script is still the same - it has to use the
one and only sources file created by condensing sources.

> Deploying without sources might also work, but then you lose debuggability.

Renaming the sources file has nothing to do with deploying without
sources, so I don't get what you're getting at.