[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Installer-Core-fbs.361.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 22:20:23 UTC 2013

On 17 January 2013 22:14,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Installer-Core to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Installer-Core-fbs.361.mcz

> Name: Installer-Core-fbs.361
> Author: fbs
> Time: 17 January 2013, 10:14:55.106 pm
> UUID: 6b44c4f2-631a-46e9-82a1-29df951936b9
> Ancestors: Installer-Core-bp.360
>
> #3 of 3 letting "Installer ss install: 'Foo'" use the local cache repository if possible.
>
> If you run "Installer ss3 install: 'CoolWidget-xyz.1.mcz', load it from the cache repository if possible. Otherwise, use the canonical repository.
>
> This lets you still use SqueakMap Installer scripts even when you're not connected to the Internet.
>
> =============== Diff against Installer-Core-bp.360 ===============

Ultimately I'd like to see "this package is made up of these parts"
and "this package's parts can be found at these locations" to be
completely separated.

Providing a canonical location is great, but there are many situations
where being able to specify the location of the parts is extremely
useful. Not having an internet connection, for instance, or someone
using a cache on the LAN.

This change makes a tiny step in that direction by permitting the
in preference to always downloading things.

(One nit: you can already say "install: 'Foo-fbs.1" which does not do
what you might think: it will load the most recent version whose
prefix matches - "Foo-fbs.19.mcz", say. If you want a particular
version, you MUST give the ".mcz" suffix. This change does not alter
this behaviour: it will simply try load the latest match from the
union of local and remote versions.)

frank