[squeak-dev] MC scories in Object's DependentsFields

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 21:10:24 UTC 2013

Trying to chasePointers of MCDefinition allSubInstances, I saw several
instances of MCPatchBrowser, MCVersionInspector, ...
Though no such window is opened in my World, what's up?

If I chase pointers of one of these ghost MCPatchBrowser keys, I see
nothing but the opened inspectors and ObjectDependentsFields...

I guess this must be exactly the same bug as
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7119 (see my own comments).
The key of DependentsFields are weak, so they should be reclaimed.
But what if the value points somehow to the key (no matter how deep)?
Well, the key will never be reclaimed then.

I don't feel comfortable with these dependencies... It's a nest of problems.
In MVC, the dependents were maintained in model, so a cycle would be
garbageCollected more easily...

Nicolas