[squeak-dev] Squeak installation for the ignorant

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 23 01:12:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 02:27:08PM +0000, H. Hirzel wrote:
> Will,
>
> Thank you for asking. I realize that you use a Linux/Unix installation.
>
> Problems like the ones you encounter prompted me to use the Squeak
> All-In-One packages when working in Linux the last years.
>
> On MSWindows the whole setup is comparatively straightforward.
>
> You need to get the correct image/source file pair, a VM and the sources file.
> As for 4.4. they are now all in the same directory
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/
>
> Will, as you write about 4.2 I assume you have not tried out the
> installation with 4.4. yet.
>

> I realize that David Lewis posts good instructions from time to time
> how to compile a VM on Linux from the source. Maybe it is time to do
> this again, David?

The instructions are on squeakvm.org, see http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html.
They are getting a bit out of date, but still usable I think. Yes, I should
update them.

Being a lazy person, I have been trying to update the instructions in the
form of an executable Smalltalk script so that I don't need to keep refreshing
the web pages quite so often. If anyone with a Linux computer wants to give
this a try, I'd appreciate some feedback. You need Linux with Subversion
and CMake installed, plus the usual C compilers that come with your distribution.

Download this script file:

  http://squeakci.org/job/InterpreterVM/ws/VMUnixBuild.st

And then use VMUnixBuild.st as a start script:

  $ squeak myImage VMUnixBuild.st

You should be able to sit back and watch as your image loads all of the
necessary VMMaker and plugin packages, downloads the latest Subversion platform
sources, generates the VM sources, and does a configure and build.

Please let me know if this works (or not).

Dave