[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Monticello-bf.532.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Jan 25 16:59:43 UTC 2013

On 25.01.2013, at 08:43, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Please try this to see if you like it better than the current save dialog. I've been using it for a few days and it seemed to work fine. In my workflow I always press the "changes" button before saving anyway, so this saves time.
>
> I, too, always end up pressing Changes and Save together (and, often,
> History so I can see what my prior version included), so this seems
> good.  But...
>
>> Plus being able to commit even a "dirty" package is something I had wanted for a while.
>
> What is this?  Is this the new "(I)gnore" option on the menu?  When I
> want to ignore a particular change, what I always did was leave the
> Changes list open and, after saving, simply click "install" on the
> change I wanted to ignore.
>
>> One change in behavior is that the package snapshot is already taken when pressing the save button, not after accepting the version name dialog.
>
> Hmmmm....  Ok, so this is to support the new Ignore option.  I don't
> think I like this -- because a regular part of _reviewing_ is being
> able to make a tweak fix!  If you can't remove a leftover "self halt"
> or make any other fixes then what's the point of reviewing it in this
> fashion?  I'll have to close the dialog, make the change, and then
> re-click the Save button -- which is quite a few more gestures than
> what we have today.

Try it: if you revert a change from the save dialog, it will also be ignored. This modifies the snapshot taken earlier before saving. But it will not see changes you make outside the save dialog, yes. In my workflow, when I made changes, I always used to cancel the save dialog and bring it up again. So for me it's the same.

- Bert -