[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Monticello-bf.532.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 23:46:53 UTC 2013

>>   1) click the Save button.
>>   2) review the changes, typing release-notes text as you go.  Make
>> any necessary improvements right then and there based on the review.
>>   3) if no changes were made, skip to step 8.
>>   4) copy the release-notes to the clipboard,
>>   5) click the Cancel button to close the Save window,
>>   6) click the Save button again to reopen it.
>>   7) re-paste the release-notes text.
>>             (7.1)  -- If the phone rings, pick up the phone and have
>> a conversation --.)
>>   8) click "Ok" this time to save what was listed in the.
>>   9) Feel insecure about whether all the review updates are, in fact,
>> saved.  Stress!  Better double check, step 10??
>
> You should start writing comedy ;)

That's what I was doing!  :)  Just having a little fun while we
discuss, I hope you didn't mind.

> It also encourages beginners (and reminds seasoned developers) to actually review the changes they are about
> to commit. That was the purpose of the textual list of changes in the save dialog, and it is made even more in
> -the-face by the proposed change.

Oh yes, I love having the changes list right in there, that's great!
My only objection is the change to not re-snapshot when the OK button
is pressed.  We must be able to go out into browsers and make fixes,
add comments, etc. during the review without needing to close/reopen
that Save dialog.

>> Yes, we must preserve the original save behavior by taking a final
>> snapshot and if you want that new (I)gnore feature, then simply let
>> that function capture the #description of the Definitions being
>> ignored.  Then when the user clicks OK on the Save dialog, after the
>> new snapshot, THEN enumerate those definitions of the new snapshot and
>> skip the ones whose description matches the ones previously ignored.
>>
>> This way the acts of Reviewing and Saving can truly be integrated into
>> one step.  Thanks.
>
> So we are in agreement after all? Why do you make it sound all bad then?

Ok cool!  Hey, in my heart there is nothing but affection and
admiration toward u and most everyone here.  :)  I know I don't always
have the best delivery.  I truly was just having "fun" with a little
melodrama and those lists, I hope you were entertained.  I need to
remember e-mail is low-bandwidth..