[squeak-dev] Profiling .image space??

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Sun Jan 27 23:34:46 UTC 2013

I have some projects that I'm working on moving from Squeak 3.8 to Squeak
4.3. Squeak 4.3 won't load projects saved under 3.8 without conversion. To
bypass having to learn how to do that, I've been "capturing" all the
objects for each 3.8 project as submorphs of a single morph, saving that
morph to file, and loading it into a new project in 4.3. This seems to work
fine. The 3.8 .morph files load into 4.3 with no "adventures", and things
work great in 4.3, identical behavior, no problems.

Except for this: it is ballooning my .image size, and I would like to try
to get a handle on this. Just porting a family of 12 projects is giving me
an image size of 106M; this is for an artistic work that was originally
realized in Hypercard and fit with room to spare on a 1.4M floppy disk! The
.image for just this one work is bigger than my development 3.8 .image that
has "everything", so something is getting exploded in size by saving a
morph under 3.8 and then loading it under 4.3.

Is there a way to profile an image to find out where all that disk space is
going?

Normally speaking, without knowing anything about how it works, I'm in
complete and total awe of the .image format; I am always totally astonished
-- each and every day, nearly -- at how fast image save is. Something has
to be built spectacularly right for images to be this efficient! It kind of
goes against the grain to have something to complain about regarding .image