[squeak-dev] Looking for Scratch base image

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Jan 30 14:03:31 UTC 2013

I think for music (muO) Stephane is better off with Squeak or Pharo
implementations of Scratch, as Bert suggested. Nevertheless, Hannes
Hirzel wrote a very interesting post:

> What about snap (JavaScript implementation)?
>
> http://chirp.scratchr.org/dl/experimental/JsMorphic/snap.html
>
> It should run on tablets.

SNAP! is version 4 of BYOB, so it will have the fun computer-sciency
bits that BYOB added to Scratch, and which should give Scratch a
higher ceiling.

You should also find Jens Moenig's two pre-release articles interesting:
http://www.chirp.scratchr.org/blog/?p=39 ("Enjoy it on your iPad!")
http://www.chirp.scratchr.org/blog/?p=34

Markus Gaelli wrote:
>> Unfortunately we don't have Morphic for vectors -- do we?
>> Might be a killer app on android tablets and other platforms which don't
>> allow flash but would allow sharing of projects.

I might be wrong, but I think Dan Ingalls's Lively Kernel research is
Morphic for vectors (specifically SVG)

http://www.lively-kernel.org/

(The Google Play store has the Adobe Air client for ARMv7 upwards. But
HTML5 is a lot less hassle for users. Didn't Adobe announce an
end-of-life plan for its Flash/Shockwave/Air clients in favour of
HTML5?)

In my opinion, Scratch, as a bitmap app, already has potential to be a
killer app on tablets and smartphones.

Yet if someone builds collaborative toys and games around a vector and
touch-based Morphic, I think they will be embarking on a rewarding
project.

On the same topic, we need great ideas for a touch user experience for
Morphic Etoys over at Squeakland. It is pretty urgent as the
single-touch OLPC tablet is out soon, and those lovely scripting tiles
need fine motor control, tiny fingers, a two-button mouse and a
keyboard.

http://squeakland.org/discuss/squeakland/

Have fun! David