[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:50:52 UTC 2013

On 30 January 2013 18:33,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

> Name: Kernel-fbs.735
> Author: fbs
> Time: 30 January 2013, 6:33:47.078 pm
> UUID: 18ffff61-cfcf-4843-8c64-caea3ceb3fbc
> Ancestors: Kernel-fbs.734
>
> Actually, return a Message, and find out the receiver of the Message from the signalercontext.
>
> Also, _returning_ the value of #subclassResponsibility means that you can return to the original caller the value of your just implemented method.
>
> =============== Diff against Kernel-fbs.734 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessage (in category 'converting') -----
> + asMessage
> +       | sender selector args |
> +       sender := self sender.
> +       selector := sender method selector.
> +       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
> +       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
> +       ^ Message selector: selector arguments: args.!
>
> Item was removed:
> - ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessageSend (in category 'converting') -----
> - asMessageSend
> -       | sender selector args |
> -       sender := self sender.
> -       selector := sender method selector.
> -       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
> -       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender tempAt: i)].
> -       ^ MessageSend receiver: self receiver selector: selector arguments: args.!

<snip>

Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
#asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.

In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.

Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
mcz's ancestor? (*)

frank

(*) This is actually how github's pull requests work: you _can_ see
the commit history, but you also have a straight "this is what will
change" view, which is where I normally look.