[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 00:16:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 30 January 2013 18:33,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> > Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Inbox:
> > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel-fbs.735.mcz

> > Name: Kernel-fbs.735
> > Author: fbs
> > Time: 30 January 2013, 6:33:47.078 pm
> > UUID: 18ffff61-cfcf-4843-8c64-caea3ceb3fbc
> > Ancestors: Kernel-fbs.734
> >
> > Actually, return a Message, and find out the receiver of the Message
> from the signalercontext.
> >
> > Also, _returning_ the value of #subclassResponsibility means that you
> can return to the original caller the value of your just implemented method.
> >
> > =============== Diff against Kernel-fbs.734 ===============
> >
> > Item was added:
> > + ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessage (in category 'converting') -----
> > + asMessage
> > +       | sender selector args |
> > +       sender := self sender.
> > +       selector := sender method selector.
> > +       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
> > +       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender
> tempAt: i)].
> > +       ^ Message selector: selector arguments: args.!
> >
> > Item was removed:
> > - ----- Method: ContextPart>>asMessageSend (in category 'converting')
> -----
> > - asMessageSend
> > -       | sender selector args |
> > -       sender := self sender.
> > -       selector := sender method selector.
> > -       args := Array new: selector numArgs.
> > -       1 to: selector numArgs do: [ :i | args at: i put: (sender
> tempAt: i)].
> > -       ^ MessageSend receiver: self receiver selector: selector
> arguments: args.!
>
> <snip>
>
> Diffs serve as a helper for reviewers. To that end, the diffs ought to
> actually show what changes would be applied to trunk should the change
> be accepted. This diff, for instance, shows the removal of
> #asMessageSend and the addition of #asMessage, but really the change
> applied to trunk will be just the addition of #asMessage.
>
> In other words when something undergoes a few rounds of review (and
> I'd think this should be the _norm_) the reviewer must reconstruct a
> series of diffs to get an idea of how trunk will change.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to diff against trunk rather than against the
> mcz's ancestor? (*)
>
> frank

Yes, it would be better to diff against trunk.  But 'Trunk' isn't a defined
state - what you have currently as Trunk isn't what I have currently as
trunk - I haven't updated as recently as you have, for instance, so the
changes that will be applied if I accepted/updated will be different than
if you accept/update.

Maybe you are talking about diffs against the most recent predecessor in
the Trunk Repository?  That should be doable - but if there is no
predecessor (a completely new package is moved in), then all of the
messages are new.

-Chris