[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Multilingual-fbs.164.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 01:46:08 UTC 2013

> The last remaining dependency is:
>
> LanguageEnvironment class >> startUp
>     self clearDefault.
>     Clipboard startUp.
>     HandMorph startUp.
>
> I am stumped as to how to preserve this behaviour and sever the
> dependency. Smalltalk at: #HandMorph is _not_ a solution. It makes
> things worse because you hide the dependency, but it's still there,
> ready to bite you at a random moment.

Not sure why it "hides it" since references to HandMorph would still
find it.  Would it still bite even with a guard?

  (Smalltalk classNamed: #HandMorph) ifNotNil: [ : cls | cls startUp ]

I suppose if someone loaded Multilingual _first_ one could get bitten
by not starting the Clipboard?  Not sure about that..

> Inlining the above into Language class >> #startUp's call sites
> seems... undesirable.
>
> Perhaps a startup registry, and HandMorph's and Clipboard's
> #initialize would say something like LanguageEnvironment
> registerForStartup: self ?

What about Smalltalk addToStartupList:after:?