[squeak-dev] SS3 canary question

Chris Cunnington websela at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 16:47:06 UTC 2013

> How could I help?

You have done a great deal already by making Seaside run on Squeak.
There are four images on box2 (i.e. wiki, map, source, and squeak.org).
I'd like to see all four running on the Seaside 3.0.8 you have built.

There are two things you could do that would be of great assistance.

1)

After downloading a Seaside All-In-One from the Squeak 4.4 ftp repository, I ran this:

Installer ss
	project: 'MetacelloRepository';
	install: 'ConfigurationOfSqueakSource'.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSqueakSource) project version: #bleedingEdge) load: #('All')

and then I ran the tests. Three of the sets of the tests give an error saying "My subclass should have overridden #versionNamed:".
If you could make it so that the tests run green, so I can run your SS3 in localhost, that would be great. Perhaps the solution is simple and you could post it here
on Squeak-dev?

Also, I recall you saying you'd be willing to install a new SS3 image for source.squeak.org. I hope that's still the case.

2)

Could you recommend a wiki to use with your Seaside 3.0.8? I think we need a replacement for the Swiki (i.e. wiki.squeak.org). It seems to me the best thing to do with the current
wiki.squeak.org is not to change it, just move it, label it archive, and start with a newer wiki application that runs in Seaside. Could that be TWWiki? If you could
recommend one that would be great.

As this is a public mailing list, if anybody wants to find a better solution to the current state of Squeak's infrastructure, they are free to suggest one.

As a side note concerning the Swiki, it runs in a non-full closure image, 3.8. Much of its code is in files on the disk accessed by a custom browser. The search function,
for instance, is in a file called 28 referenced from another file called meta.xml. That's an awkward way to work. Especially, when the debugger is flying
at you all the time.

Added to which, time spent learning how this works is irritating, if it is not applicable elsewhere. Running all four images (i.e. squeak.org, wiki, map, source) on
contemporary Seaside images would make it easier for current and future maintainers.

As a final thought, installing Ian Piumarta's RFB in each of the four images would we worthwhile. The current implementation of VNC is external to the image only understood
by one person. Many projects on Squeak servers have a bus factor of one. This is less than ideal.

FWIW,
Chris