[squeak-dev] Re: SS3 canary question

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Sat Jul 6 18:49:18 UTC 2013

Dale,

Am 06.07.2013 um 20:27 schrieb "Dale K. Henrichs" <dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com>:

> Tobias,
>
> I recommend that you at least start with installGemstone.sh[1] ... the script downloads and installs a given version of GemStone, makes sure that the os is configured correctly for GemStone (shared memory and semaphores) and sets up glass/seaside extent so it's ready to run:
>
> installGemstone.sh 3.1.0.4
> source /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/defSeaside
> startGemStone
> topaz -l -T50000  <<EOF
> set user GemStone pass swordfish
> set gemstone seaside
> run
> "Metacello installation script for SS3"
> %
> commit
> logout
> EOF
> # lauch your seaside gems...

I know I know.
But I wanted to install it into a custom location, and
make sure it uses a different NetLDI port than the local maglev etc.pp.
That is why I didn't use the script :)

> If you have multiple GemStone installations things are a bit more complicated...Setting up the server with lighttpd/nginx/apache/daemontools/monit/cron/etc. also adds a bit more complexity ...

yes. I put it behind an nginx with FastCGI and
added a service-gem :)
I learned from you how to do all that stuff

> When we moved ss3.gemstone.com to ss3.gemtalksystems.com, I kept track of everything I did and I centralized all of the configuration files under git control for easy management and the intent to eventually share the formula but I could make them available to you as a template for getting started ...

For canary, I don't need it, it is set up,
but I think for Stephan or me (for future reference)
this would be valuable.

Best
	-Tobias