[squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage semi-self-references

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 15:03:47 UTC 2013

Look at method sources containing "SmalltalkImage current". Filter the
list to only show methods for the SmalltalkImage class. There are
23-odd methods in SmalltalkImage, on the instance side, that send
"SmalltalkImage current".

Why? Why not just replace all these sends with "self"? Under what
circumstances might we even have SmalltalkImage current ~= self?
(Never mind that "Smalltalk current" is hardcoded to return Smalltalk,
anyway.)

I suggest we just use "self" in these messages. Thoughts? Comments?

frank