[squeak-dev] Character>to: was changed and breaks ObjectsTool

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jul 20 20:21:43 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 01:11:34PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> >> I don't see anything at all that takes me to the MCVersionInfo
> >> corresponding
> >> to a version in the versions browser. Am I missing something?
> >
> > No.  The "system" is.  As I understand it, the only way to locate an MC
> > package version containing the first occurrence of a specific method version
> > is to search versions of the MC package in a repository.  One at least knows
>
> If you're doing it manually like that, paging through the in-memory
> ancestry history (via the "History" button) is much faster than
> opening versions in the repository.
>
> > that the commit date of the MC package is >= the date of the version.  One
> > needs to compare two MC packages and verify that the method version doesn't
> > exist in the first and does exit in the second.  I've done this manually
> > enough to know that it should be automated ;-)
>
> It was automated, many moons ago.  I use this almost every day.
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5603

Two questions:

1) Can this capability be made available and visible in the browsers that
most of us use every day?

2) Why aren't we (all of us including most especially myself) paying more
attention to Magma and making use of it as supporting infrastructure? It
seems blindingly obvious that this would be a good way to support shared
access to a database of Squeak version history.

Dave