[squeak-dev] Ancient Mantis Report 1554, compiler and global vs class variables

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jul 20 23:41:27 UTC 2013

Whilst trawling through ancient dusty mantis reports I found this little fella' - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1554 and thought to myself, "well now, this one will be closable because someone will surely have modified the compiler a fair bit by now and solved this". Wrong. Despite the fairly amazing amount of heat that the discussion released back in 2003 (ten years ago! eeek!) it appears nothing was done at the time beyond a proposed fix that only got into Mantis-land two years late through Ken Causey's good offices.

I tried out the suggested test code in a very recent (#12641) image and 8 out of 10 test passed. Now I'm no compiler guru and don't claim to have any special opinion on this except that it looked pretty serious back then and probably ought to be fixed if at all possible. Unless someone has good reasons for those two 'failing' tests to be considered unimportant, of course.

tim
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.