[squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage semi-self-references

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 13:08:44 UTC 2013

Currently, SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk.
SmalltalkImage current should not be used anymore, but should rather be
replaced with Smalltalk
(we did not change the too many senders, maybe this was not the best
decision).

As Tim said, since the SystemDictionary was bloated with many system
utilities, we turned it the other way around: let Smalltalk be a reflection
of the system, and separate the SystemDictionary to Smalltalk globals.
Note that Smalltalk globals printString used to answer 'Smalltalk globals',
but it was changed since Environment, it now incorrectly answers
'Smalltalk' which is not an environment...

Now whether Smalltalk should be self from within SmalltalkImage, I'd rather
say yes, but it makes sense if ever there is another SmalltalkImage.
Of course, all this was pre-Environment, so it might continue to evolve.

If we want to reify a VM object, then we would probably access the
currently used one through Smalltalk vm (and currently, it answers self,
because SmalltalkImage reflects the whole system).
Same for operating system, see Smalltalk os...

SystemNavigation provides low level system reflection capabilities (all
implementors of, etc...) + higher level UI requests.
It looks like we could give it more care, because it uses ToolSet for most
UI requests, and has 2 unused instance variables for determining browser
class.
Whether it should be re-integrated to Smalltalk (TheSystem) or not, I don't
know, but what I wonder about is what should be the proper tools to handle
environments. Should we restrict the browsing to a specific Environment
(see SystemNavigation for: anEnvironment), or should we offer
cross-environments capabilities?
It all depends what we use environment for. Maybe we will need some kind of
sub system, a system in the system...