[squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage semi-self-references

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 22:40:02 UTC 2013

Okay so from my point of view, SmalltalkImage is an extra class, a fifth wheel.

In practice, and mainly because Morphic is so different, this is a really easy thing to deal with. Anything with a UI will require significant reimplementation in order to run over Cuis, so this particular case, like the difference in how authors are identified, is a minor nuisance that pops up a lot. When the debugger opens to complain about a missing SmalltalkImage, I just replace it with Smalltalk (IIRC) and that generally works.

In general though, you're right. Compat packages are the way to go.