[squeak-dev] Ancient Mantis Report 1554, compiler and global vs class variables

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Jul 22 02:31:18 UTC 2013

On 07/21/2013 05:05 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 21-07-2013, at 2:14 PM, Frank Shearar<frank.shearar at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 21 July 2013 00:41, tim Rowledge<tim at rowledge.org>  wrote:
>>> Whilst trawling through ancient dusty mantis reports I found this little fella' - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1554 and thought to myself, "well now, this one will be closable because someone will surely have modified the compiler a fair bit by now and solved this". Wrong. Despite the fairly amazing amount of heat that the discussion released back in 2003 (ten years ago! eeek!) it appears nothing was done at the time beyond a proposed fix that only got into Mantis-land two years late through Ken Causey's good offices.
>>>
>>> I tried out the suggested test code in a very recent (#12641) image and 8 out of 10 test passed. Now I'm no compiler guru and don't claim to have any special opinion on this except that it looked pretty serious back then and probably ought to be fixed if at all possible. Unless someone has good reasons for those two 'failing' tests to be considered unimportant, of course.
>>
>> Those two tests - are they the tests that Ken says failed before
>

> I can't tell, unfortunately. They're not explicitly mentioned in the report and I couldn't spot any directly related commentary in the message thread.
>
> tim
> --
> "Both.." said Pooh, as the guillotine came down

I'm not certain I understand the question(s), however...

Yes, if I had it to do over again and realized that it would be years
before issues like these would be resolved, well then again there were
signs of that even then.  In any case, I should have been more explicit
about specifically what tests were failing for me.

Tim: Are you saying that both before and after the [FIX] is loaded the
same 8 tests fail?  Well, given the time that has passed the provided
tests may be more valuable than the proposed fix at this point.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-October/thread.html

for 'ClassVarsFix' for possibly relevant context.

Ken