[squeak-dev] Gutting the Exceptions package

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 14:09:44 UTC 2013

I like packages that are functionally related. Compression is an
excellent example of this.

Exceptions is not. It's a bunch of things grouped together just
because they do the same kind of thing.

I ripped a number of Exception's classes and put then in Kernel (the
base of the exception handling system), Collections (because
KeyNotFound's part of how Dictionary works), and so on.

The remaining exceptions are:
* Abort.
* EndOfStream (which looks unused),
* ProgressNotification,
* a bunch of Project notifications.

I propose we gut the Exceptions package:
* move Project notifications to System,
* move ProgressNotification to Kernel (I'd prefer a better place, but...),
* move PickAFileToWriteNotification to MorphicExtras (where all its users live)

I don't know what to do with Abort. Sounds Kernel-ish, but there
aren't any users.

This would empty Exceptions completely.

frank