[squeak-dev] EndOfStream - cruft?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 18:46:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm half-tempted to say "in that case the user should use Xtreams".
> Because the weird behaviours around #next and #atEnd were pretty much
> the main drivers behind it.
>
> Do you use EndOfStream like this (to allow nil objects in a Stream of objects)?

Not yet, but the other day when you were saying Set's don't need to
use nil as the special marker object, I agreed with you..

It is not too much of a stretch to imagine a situation:  e.g., a
time-lapse stream of data sampled at half-second intervals, but not
every "frame" has data, in which case simply nil is put onto the
stream.

With EndOfStream, we can simply "play back" the stream and it will be
a correct time-rendition of the data.  Without EndOfStream, we
couldn't.