[squeak-dev] [OT] Need new email client

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Jul 24 21:36:50 UTC 2013

David Corking wrote:

> Shame we don't have maintainers for Squeak email any more - but email
> interoperability is a complex and almost thankless task.

Do you mean Celeste? That is what I am typing this in, so naturally I
have to patch it about once a month when a new message arrives that
breaks it. SInce I am always in the middle of something else when this
happens, I don't do it right and don't think the resulting code should
be a part of the resulting distribution.

Yesterday, for example, I had to change RFC2047MimeConverter>>mimeDecode
to:

mimeDecode
	"Do conversion reading from mimeStream writing to dataStream. See
String>>decodeMimeHeader"

	| c d |
	[mimeStream atEnd] whileFalse: [
		c := mimeStream next.
		c = $=
			ifTrue: [ d _ (mimeStream next ifNil: [$0]) digitValue * 16
				+ (mimeStream next ifNil: [$0]) digitValue.
				      d > 0 ifTrue: [c _ Character value: d]]
			ifFalse: [c = $_ ifTrue: [c := $ ]].
		dataStream nextPut: c].
	^ dataStream

because I was getting emails with subjects which had invalid characters
after a "=". The original code would try to send #digitValue to nil.
This is not the right fix. Practically none of my changes are. But I
think that the right thing would be a complete rewrite and will keep it
limping along until I can find the time to do that.

-- Jecel