[squeak-dev] CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.302/r2749

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Thu Jul 25 19:18:02 UTC 2013

Hi Eliot,

under Win7 64 Bit the upgrading from r2701 of March 11th I got a speedup
from 575 to 231 seconds for my "CSV file reading using symbols to reduce
memory consumption and speedup #select" job.

The average full gc came down from  811 to 450 ms (averaged over 19 GC's)

So the performance regression may have been in Windows VM's too.

Thanks a lot!

What I don't understand:
I do a "purge undo records" then a GC.
In both cases I get around 5MB less used Memory but Squeak uses some
additional 68 MB (old VM) resp 73 MB (new VM). Total Memory after GC is
around 445 MB in both cases.
Is this to be expected and wouldn't happen if the image size were closer
to the 512 MB Limit of Windows?

Cheers

Herbert