[squeak-dev] Package Hierarchy Map

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Jul 29 12:46:03 UTC 2013

Am 29.07.2013 um 14:36 schrieb Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>:

> Cool! I'm just curious as to how you might phrase the "executive
> summary" of the maps. They don't, for instance, show the massive
> amount of circularity between, say, System, Collections, Kernel,
> Network and so on. The maps look much more like how I'd _like_ the
> dependencies to be.

note that I used tred to figure out transitive dependencies,
but it does not work too well with circular dependencies;
when tred encounters circles, the outcome is undefined with respect
to where the circles is actually shown.

tred(1):
	If a graph has cycles, its transitive reduction is not uniquely defined. In this case tred emits a warning.

So we actually only get meaningful information once all circles are removed.

IMHO we should start with Collection and make it depend on 'Nothing',
or the other way round, make Collection depend on Kernel but Kernel depend
on nothing.

Best
	-Tobias