[squeak-dev] Package Hierarchy Map

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Jul 29 20:19:22 UTC 2013

Tobias Pape wrote in reply toTim Rowledge:
> > Yet another image format change would be fairly painful IMO.
>
> What is the alternative in the long run?

Please note that this was all actually implemented back in 2002, but not
adopted by the community. If I remember correctly, even the author
(Anthony Hannan) was against the simple adoption of his code at one
point, though I don't remember the reasons why.

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2119

Note that he credits Tim for the inspiration in the part where he talks
about the CompiledMethod2 class.

In terms of history, I don't remember if Tektronix Smalltalk was like
this. They did change OrderedCollection to point to an array with the
contents so they wouldn't have to use #become: to grow. Certainly Self
1.0 from 1990 used this design for compiled methods.

-- Jecel