[squeak-dev] Smalltalk globals poolUsers (Fwd: [Cuis] [Philosophy] Do we need pool dictionaries?)

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 14:24:59 UTC 2013

FYI

HH.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:28:16 +0100
Subject: Re: [Cuis] [Philosophy] Do we need pool dictionaries?
To: Discussion of Cuis Smalltalk <cuis at jvuletich.org>

On 30 July 2013 12:57, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
> Hi Casey,
>
> I don't like pooldictionaries. They look like "hidden globals" to me, and
> they are as bad as regular globals. Maybe there were good reasons for them
> 30 years ago, but I don't see any today, except for compatibility.
>
> Cuis base image doesn't include any pool dictionary. See 'Smalltalk
> poolUsers' (unfortunately broken in Squeak).

No more! Environments-fbs.22 fixes it so you can say

       Smalltalk globals poolUsers

 which says, in the "base" 4.5,

 a Dictionary(#BalloonEngineConstants->an
OrderedCollection(#BalloonEngine an OrderedCollection())
#ChronologyConstants->an OrderedCollection(#Date #Week #DateAndTime
#Time #Duration #Month #TimeZone an OrderedCollection())
#CustomEventsRegistry->an OrderedCollection(an OrderedCollection())
#EventSensorConstants->an OrderedCollection(#KeyboardInputInterpreter
#DisplayHostWindow #MorphicUnknownEvent #EventSensor #UserInputEvent
#TextConverter #HandMorph an OrderedCollection()) #GZipConstants->an
OrderedCollection(#GZipWriteStream #GZipReadStream an
OrderedCollection()) #ImageImports->an OrderedCollection(an
OrderedCollection()) #MCMockAPoolDictionary->an
OrderedCollection(#MCMockClassB an OrderedCollection())
#References->an OrderedCollection(#Player an OrderedCollection())
#SharedPool->an OrderedCollection(an OrderedCollection())
#TextConstants->an OrderedCollection(#DisplayText
#LimitingLineStreamWrapper #MultiTextComposer #MultiNewParagraph
#TextLine #CharacterBlock #TextAlignment #SegmentScanner #HostFont
#StrikeFont #TextLineInterval #CompositionScanner
#PostscriptCharacterScanner #Text #MultiCharacterScanner #TextStyle
#CharacterScanner an OrderedCollection()) #Undeclared->an
OrderedCollection(an OrderedCollection()) #ZipConstants->an
OrderedCollection(#ZipWriteStream #ZipEncoder #DeflateStream an
OrderedCollection()) #ZipFileConstants->an
OrderedCollection(#ZipArchive #ZipArchiveMember an
OrderedCollection()) )

frank