[squeak-dev] Stripping vs. Assembling

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 15:47:01 UTC 2013

Hi Frank,

> Yes, but the stripping out part is manual. Well, it's scripted [1],
> and when a new package becomes unloadable I add it to the script, run
> ... snip ...

I was thinking about something.  Your Stripping script, and any
external ".st" script for that matter, should be a one-liner simply to
call one single method, rather than having any sort of code with
implementation details.  One reason for this is so that browsing
senders will miss as little as possible due to being externalized in
an .st script.

But another reason is because Stripping should be regarded *as
valuable* a use-case as Assembling.

There are two scenarios for deploying a minimal production image.  The
"conventional" way, used by other languages, is to develop the code
base in a rich fat image and, when its ready, version it all up and
Assemble it manually into a brand new SqueakTrunk image, sans all the
richness.

The other way, supported only by Smalltalk, is where I start with a
ReleaseSqueakTrunk image (rich and fat) and develop my code and
objects until I'm ready to deploy.  Instead of being required to
hand-assemble a new image I simply Strip the image I'm in and deploy
that.

(As I type this e-mail, the merits of Spoons approach continue to woo
me.  Craig?!)