[squeak-dev] The Inbox: MorphicExtras-fbs.108.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 20:57:21 UTC 2013

On 20 May 2013 19:47, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2013 19:42,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
>> A new version of MorphicExtras was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/MorphicExtras-fbs.108.mcz

>> Name: MorphicExtras-fbs.108
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 20 May 2013, 7:42:41.076 pm
>> UUID: ff1de6e0-6c3a-4322-9c1a-ce0bed2406df
>> Ancestors: MorphicExtras-fbs.107
>>
>> A ScrapBook uses a BookMorph to store Morphs. It replaces Utilities' scrapsBook.
>>
>> =============== Diff against MorphicExtras-fbs.107 ===============
>
> You need to load the System-side changes (in the System-fbs.532 in the
> Inbox) before this one, or Bad Things Might Happen.

While this mainly works, under some conditions (I think clicking on
the can itself?) you get a debugger because the ScrapBook isn't a
morph; it just _has_ a morph. Implementing the missing method means
hitting MNU after MNU as you implement many many Morph messages.
Eventually you have to implement #privateOwner and then Bad Things
Happen.

I really don't want to reimplement Morph's protocol in the ScrapBook,
but I'm also really not a fan of proxying via #doesNotUnderstand:
(because those kinds of proxies obscure the proxied object's API).

I'd love to hear some feedback on this work so I can close it off. It
removes a class var from Utilities, and so makes Utilities that bit
more pull-apart-able. (Eventually I'd like to see Utilities banished
to the wilderness, but it's a long journey to that point.)

frank