[squeak-dev] Running old images with Cog

Juan Vuletich (mail lists) juanlists at jvuletich.org
Sat Jun 8 20:13:31 UTC 2013

Quoting Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:

> On 2013-06-08, at 19:45, Daniel Ingalls <dan at Squeakland.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all -
>>
>> Are there files available that will fix the blocks in pre-Cog
>> images to that they will run on Cog?
>>
>> I'm reviving some old images and it would be nice to run them on Cog.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>  - Dan
>

> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/Closures0811/Bootstrap/
>
> - Bert -

Hi Dan,

Eliot's original bootstrap is a bit tricky to use on other images than
the ones he built it for (Croquet.1.0.18, Squeak3.9-final-7067 and
Qwaq), because he's tweaking the compiler while it is being used to
file in the code. While trying to adapt it for Cuis I broke my image
too many times to count them!

I suggest using the sequence of changesets I prepared for Cuis. The
idea is to prepare and test the new compiler without hooking it to the
system yet, until it is good enough. Then, in one step, swap
compilers, recompile everything, and only then remove the old compiler.

Although I believe I'm the only other person, besides Eliot, who
successfully updated a different image to use Closures, my approach
should be easy to adapt to any other image.

Get the Cuis update stream from
https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/raw/master/PreviousUpdates/CuisUpdatesUpTo1511.zip . The relevant change set are 339 to
392.

BTW, if possible, please keep up posted. It is always a pleasure to
follow your work!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich