[squeak-dev] Squeak Community Hangout report

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 12:01:42 UTC 2013

On 6/12/13 7:45 AM, "Frank Shearar" <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, we kind've do. I just don't advertise it. The SqueakTrunk build
> on CI takes a hand-crafted "core" image, updates it and runs all its
> tests. Noone notices that Nebraska, Universes and XML-Parser are no
> longer in the Core because a second CI job, ReleaseSqueakTrunk, loads
> these in.
>
> My aim is to progressively rip more and more out of the hand-crafted
> base image, and keep loading those unloaded packages in the
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk. I also add the unloaded packages as test suites in
> the ExternalPackages job.
>
> Chris Muller has rightly raised concern that this core+extra image
> isn't itself tested. I think the answer to this is that (a) we often
> have no idea whether some package works currently because there are
> far too few tests, but (b) we can always run the full set of core
> tests + package tests on (a copy of) the resulting core+extra image.
>
> But right now it's extremely hard to unload packages because so many
> packages have circular dependencies and the like. Most of my work
> recently has been around cutting the easier parts of the tangle, and
> raising the profile of some of the less easy parts.
>
> frank

I know you was doing a excellent job.

As Jecel said, I wish some between Pharo super speed for change and Squeak
stick in first gear.

In 3.10 times with Ralph we start this download and load again.

We should going to SqueakCore and test it , all packages downloaded should
be user choice of loading again or not.

Each release should be more small and more modular.

And if we are bold enough go to SqueakKernel and build on Terminal , like

Atlantis:~ edgar$ /Applications/Cog\ 2714.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
-headless
/Users/edgar/AtlantisSqueak/imagesZip/Squeak4.4/SqueaKernel4.4-12327.image
build.st

Edgar