[squeak-dev] LanguageEnvironment >> #startUp references HandMorph?!

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 15:31:49 UTC 2013

I can understand why you might want to call Clipboard startUp. Barely,
since the system starting up will call Clipboard startUp anyway.

But why does it startUp the HandMorph? I guess to reinitialise the
HandMorph instances' keyboardInterpreter. But why not then make
HandMorph respond to a change in LanguageEnvironment then?

Only I see that LanguageEnvironment localeChanged just calls #startUp,
which calls HandMorph. This is wrong! Multilingual ought to be buried
in the guts of the system, and Morphic should depend on IT, not
Multilingual calling out to Morphic!

Which means, I guess, that we're missing something like an
announcement? "Hi, the LE's changed; please respond appropriately."
(Another way to do this would be a #localeChanged: class-side method,
and Multilingual walks all behaviours/traits calling this. I dislike
this, because it's not Environment friendly.)

Or is there already an announcement-like thing, and I just don't know about it?

frank