[squeak-dev] Release image format (was: "Future Directions" welcome workspace)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Jun 16 15:08:48 UTC 2013

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Interesting, but the primitive is digitDiv:neg: , not \\\
> Why wouldn't the primitive be reported on the Smalltalk stack?

I think that's the normal behavior. Why should a primitive call "pollute"
the Smalltalk stack if it doesn't fail? The recently used primitives are
listed separately.

Most recent primitives
digitCompare:
digitDiv:neg:
>=
digitCompare:
digitDiv:neg:
>=

> By the way, \\\ is not really usefull anymore.
> The main difference is that \\\ avoids a normalization of the result. Please note that you should not use it with negative receiver or argument.
> Also note that \\ should be faster for Small Integers and for LargeInteger up to 64 bits (we now have a primitive for that)
> For LargeIntegers > 64 bits, \\ will be a bit longer because we pass thru a primitiveFail before  calling same primitive than \\\, and then normalize quotient and
> remainder.

All senders of #\\\ in my image have your initials. It's a bit suspicious
that Integer >> #reciprocalModulo: doesn't normalize v after the loop, but
it's possible that #- will do it anyway. In the other user - Integer >>
#slidingLeftRightRaisedTo:modulo: - the result is normalized via
#normalize.

Levente