[squeak-dev] Pool dictionary entries and array shorthand

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Tue Mar 5 19:17:55 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm sure we have all used the array creation shorthand: #(5 4 3 2 1).  When
trying to create an array with elements of a pool dictionary like:
#(BlueWool LimeWool) one ends up with an array of the symbolic names of the
pool dictionary entries and not their values: #(#BlueWool #LimeWool).

IMHO this is almost useless.  If I wanted the symbols in an array I would
just use: #(#BlueWool #LimeWool) which looks like what was wanted and isn't
much more to type.  I think the values is what one would expect from:
#(BlueWool LimeWool) and not the symbols and I don't see any other
shorthand way to get them.

VA Smalltalk works the same way.  I don't know about any other Smalltalk.
Both Smalltalks pretty print it the same way they do with any other pool
dictionary usage.

I don't want to go so far as to call this a bug but I'm close.  I don't see
why one would want it to work this way and I can see great value in
building the array with the pool values.  Can we get this changed?  Does
anyone depend on the current implementation?

Lou