[squeak-dev] All-in-one VM for 4.4?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Mar 6 17:15:37 UTC 2013

Am 06.03.2013 um 18:06 schrieb David Corking <lists at dcorking.com>:

> I read Paul's lists of external plugins. Thanks: I, for one,
> appreciate the attention to detail.
>
> (1) I recall that there was a plan to include the four Scratch
> plugins, such as Camera, in Squeak 4.4 . I don't know if we have code
> in the image that requires them, but they may encourage interesting
> new packages, or smooth the way for the port of Etoys to trunk.
>
> Please consider adding them in 4.4 or 4.5 all-in-ones.
>
> (2) Cog VMs list of externals seem shorter. Unless Eliot has built the
> others as internals, Cog VMs may miss important functionality. For
> example, Linux users could get crashes without the pulse audio plugin.
> (There are workarounds in one version of Bert's launcher script, but I
> don't know if they are well tested, or if that version of the script
> can be included in the All-in-One.) I think all platforms will miss
> Kedama.
>
> Please mention in the release notes that (for now) users who download
> the Cog all-in-one will trade functionality for speed.
>
> (3) Tobias Pape wrote:
>> I was under the impression, that 5.4.7.1 was the
>> latest, recommended non-Cog VM for mac… go figure
>
> I think Bert has advised you correctly. My recollection is that the
> "Cocoa Interpreter VM" line of development was abandoned in favour of
> the Cog VM (I remember hearing that Xcode had some idiosyncrasies that
> made it difficult to achieve quite the same level of quality as the
> 'Carbon VM' but that isn't important now.) The 'Carbon VM' interpreter
> Squeak 4.2.5beta1U.app as linked works fine in OS X.

Now I am quite puzzled. The sqMacMain.c of the Carbon VM states quite clearly:

#error Hi, you are building an obsolete version of the macintosh VM.
#error Instead use the xCode projects found in the iOS folder
#error Remove these error defines if you really need to build this obsolete 4.x VM

(as of SVN revision 2287)

> (I think http://squeakvm.org/mac/ might benefit moving 'Cocoa VM'
> further down the page.)
>
> (4) Isn't there a stub version of HostWindow for Mac and Win? Should
> that be in the VMs?
>
> Please educate me if I have the wrong end of the stick in any of my 4 comments.

Best
	-Tobias