[squeak-dev] Seaside, Squeak4.4, SqueakMap and Metacello, or Why Software Configuration Management is Important (war: Re: [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 10:26:45 UTC 2013

On 6 March 2013 16:53, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 06.03.2013 um 17:46 schrieb Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>:
>>> […]
>>>
>>> At a certain point you have to ay where the code is to be found :)
>>> In your install script, it is also hardcoded:
>>>
>>> Installer ss3
>>>        project: 'Control';
>>>        addPackage: 'Control-fbs.19';
>>>        addPackage: 'ControlTests-fbs.15';
>>>        install.
>>>
>>> In Metacello, you could specify multiple (possibly backup) repositories.
>>>
>>> But other than that, I agree with you :)
>>
>> Yes, but I don't expect Installer to do anything more: it's
>> brain-dead.
>
> The point with installer in the Metacello-case is
> just to _retrieve_ the configuration. There is an upcoming
> Metacello Scripting api [1], that turns the Metacello thing into:
>
> Metacello new
>         configuration: 'Control';
>         squeaksource: 'Control';
>         version: '1.0';
>         load.
>
> which would not depend on you fetching the configuration.

Well, "which would fetch the configuration for you", sure.

>> Whereas with Metacello I did expect to have that clean
>> separation like you do with Maven, where your profile - configuration
>> - says where to get artifacts.
>

> Doesn’t it?
> It’s just the same with metacello, no?

Well, it depends on what the #squeaksource: send does. The
ConfigurationOf should define the dependencies (including versions),
but _should not_ tell you where to get the artifacts. So if
#squeaksource: (and presumably similar messages) are how you say to
Metacello "get these locally or, failing that, get these from A or,
failing that, from B", then I'm happy.

frank