[squeak-dev] Seaside, Squeak4.4, SqueakMap and Metacello, or Why Software Configuration Management is Important (war: Re: [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 22:23:26 UTC 2013

Hi Tobias,

> 2) It is not the simple case that there are just 2 releases, say development
> and deployment, it is more like Feature selection, however this leads to
> release explosion. I will now, just from memory try to recall possible combination
> that in this scenario would qualify as an independent release:
>
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, RSS
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, RSS
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, Email, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, Email, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, RSS
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, RSS
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, RSS
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, Scriptatcoulus
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, jQuery
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, RSS, Email
> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, RSS, Scriptatcoulus
> [...]

Instead of having so many "releases" of Seaside, would it be possible
to just have one SM entry for Seaside Base and then, as separate SM
entries, Seaside Development, Fcgi, RSS, Email, jQuery, etc?  Each
which would be smart enough to load Seaside Base automatically if it
wasn't already.  Metacello is declarative so the users "feature
selections" should be able to be made any time, regardless of the
pre-state of the image.

I understand a new release of "Seaside" may usually include changes to
all of those "feature" packages but there is no way around that --
it's just a few minutes of work per package.