[squeak-dev] Re: [Cuis] I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 11:01:12 UTC 2013

I wasn't finished writing but wiping the rain off the phone decided the matter for me accidentally.

Yes, a "distributed Smalltalk" is absolutely a very interesting thing to pursue, in part because the idea behind object oriented programming was supposed to be separate async intercommunicating nodes in a network of other self similar things, but...

Other other people have taken up this line of inquiry and produced interesting results already. Most recently, David Ungar, who's work I think we all really should be at least familiar with, has even recently explored this.

I think this is a great idea for a project, but yet again I'm not sure I can help much, beyond activating and mobilizing supporters for this kind of work.

FWIW, I have CC'd David, on the off chance that he wants to keep exploring this category of inquiry, and if there's anything at all that I can do to help with raising funds: either with Smalltalk or with Self, I'll be damned if I don't try to put some wind in these sails.

I must admit that I am an adoring fan of Self. Read that as you will:)

What do you think, David? Should we crowd-source funding more work on the Roar VM? Or is there something else I should be fighting for?

Casey