[squeak-dev] Environments update

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 22:44:08 UTC 2013

On 5 March 2013 21:54, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:53 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-03-05, at 02:40, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:

>> > Oh, I see. The source code still reads as a variable access, but the
>> > bytecode implements a message send.
>>
>> No, I think Igor is proposing to write something like "self environment
>> Foo" to access Foo. Which is flexible, granted, but looks ugly.
>

> That's what I thought too, but that obviously breaks compatibility with
> existing code, which Igor claims his proposal does not.

Can you be more specific, what exactly it breaks?

If it is about #bindingOf:
which answers association holding key/value pair..
nothing prevents us from answering "LateBoundBinding" which
when you send #value to it, actually doing
<special object> perform: #Foo
(and similar things for write access).

--
Best regards,