[squeak-dev] Daily Commit Log

commits at source.squeak.org commits at source.squeak.org
Sun Mar 10 23:55:05 UTC 2013

Changes to Trunk (http://source.squeak.org/trunk.html) in the last 24 hours:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005779.html

Name: Environments-cwp.14
Ancestors: Environments-fbs.13

Uninstall environments to upgrade them.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005780.html

Name: Environments-cwp.15
Ancestors: Environments-cwp.14

Added the ability to rename classes as they are imported or exported.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005781.html

Name: Environments-cwp.16
Ancestors: Environments-cwp.15

Reinstall environments now that it's updated.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005782.html

Name: CollectionsTests-nice.199
Ancestors: CollectionsTests-nice.198

Provide tests for String>>numArgs

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005783.html

Name: Kernel-nice.746
Ancestors: Kernel-bf.744

Fix ClassBuilder which previously failed to flush the cache of old CompiledMethod when the class changes of format.
This failure to invoke primitive 116 can lead to COG VM crash (a cogit jitted method is not unlinked).
This does not affect old interpreter which clear the caches thru primitive 119.
It is essential that the newClass points to identity-preserved CompiledMethods of oldClass methodDictionary before recompiling so that primitive 116 be correctly invoked, particularly we must not clear methodDictionary with a MethodDictionary new..

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005784.html

Name: Kernel-nice.747
Ancestors: Kernel-nice.746

Second attempt to fix the fact that ClassBuilder is not cleaning cog VM jitted CompiledMethod cache.
Any CompiledMethod used again before the end of newClass recompilation, might be jitted again.
Thus the cache must be cleaned up again before final mutation time.
This is particularly true of Parser/Compiler and probably some other Kernel objects.

Note to the hunters: we use are using bullets of same caliber (primitive 116) to kill the bear.
If it ever fails, next will be nuclear weapon (primitive 89), no matter the colateral download slow down which could result.

Note about subclasses: since subclasses are mutated first, one could try to exhibit another cache clean-up failure.
For example, if one super method of the subclass is used during ClassBuilder mutate:to:.
Before crippling the code with more workarounds, I'll wait for an example from third party, as for myself that's enough brain fuck for the evening.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005785.html

Name: Environments-fbs.5
Ancestors: Environments-cmm.4

Colin Putney will point out that Environments should actually provide a higher-level API than Dictionary. This is a compatibility call.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005786.html

Name: Environments-nice.17
Ancestors: Environments-cwp.16, Environments-fbs.5

Merge fbs.5 because it has a return which makes removeKey:ifAbsent: better behaved.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005787.html

Name: Graphics-nice.202
Ancestors: Graphics-nice.201

Let CharacterScanner take kerning into account when measuring a String in order to fall in agreement with CompositionScanner.
Note that #measureString:inFont:from:to: is not used in image but seems to be by some Tweak code as reported by mtf in dec. 2010.
Remove unused xTable (such low level responsibility has been transferred into BitBlt)

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2013-March/005788.html

Name: Multilingual-nice.158
Ancestors: Multilingual-fbs.157

Do to Multilinngual what we did to Unilingual, or in other words:
Let MultiCharacterScanner take kerning into account when measuring a String in order to fall in agreement with CompositionScanner.